Monday, November 1, 2010

The Candidates by Inara Scott

Here's a quick blurb about The Candidates (Delcroix Academy #1) from Ms. Scott's website (which is really gorgeous and you should check out):
Dancia Lewis is far from popular. And that’s not just because of her average grades or her less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia’s mediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a person threatening someone she cares about, things just … happen. Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everything possible to avoid getting close to people, believing this way she can suppress her powers and keep them hidden.


When recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy offer her a full scholarship, Dancia fears her days of living under the radar may be over. But Delcroix is a school for diplomats’ kids and child geniuses — why are they treating Dancia like she’s special? Even the hottest guy on campus seems to be going out of his way to make her feel welcome. And then there’s her mysterious new friend Jack, who can’t stay out of trouble. He suspects something dangerous is going on at Delcroix, and he wants Dancia to help him figure out what…But neither Jack or Dancia could have imagined what’s really going on behind the gates of Delcroix Academy.

*Note: I would also like to thank Adventure's in Children's Publishing who I won this book from.  Do drop by and visit their blog and maybe even become a subscriber if you aren't already.

My Take
 It didn't take me long to read this book.  It pulled me in and kept me reading to find out what was going to come next.  I like Dancia.  She's a nice girl, likeable in all respects really.  She gets recruited to go to Delcroix Academy, which is supposed to be this awesome school but becomes kind of creepy too.  Dancia winds up caught between two guys also.  She develops this huge crush on Cam, who would be a typical choice for a girl to be swooning over.  But the moment she met Jack, it complicated things.  I'm the girl who always seems to go for the less obvious choice.  I don't know, maybe Jack is obvious because he's more the 'bad boy' choice.  He's not really a bad guy though.  Okay, I'm rambling.  I won't tell you what all happens and I have to wait until book two to really see where things go anyway.  Needless to say, I'm hooked into the Delcroix Academy series now.  Go check it out.  The only thing I didn't really like, Cam was very distant and I agree with Dancia's grandma, it took him way too long to kiss her.  I'm giving it 3 1/2 supernatural smooches!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are regarding my posts! ~Thanks

Currently Reading

Currently Reading

Just Finished

Just Finished