Thursday, December 9, 2010

You by Charles Benoit

Here's a blurb from the Harper-Teen page for the book:  This wasn't the way it was supposed to go.

You're just a typical fifteen-year-old sophomore, an average guy named Kyle Chase. This can't be happening to you. But then, how do you explain all the blood? How do you explain how you got here in the first place?

There had to have been signs, had to have been some clues it was coming. Did you miss them, or ignore them? Maybe if you can figure out where it all went wrong, you can still make it right. Or is it already too late? Think fast, Kyle. Time's running out. How did this happen?

You is the riveting story of fifteen-year-old Kyle and the small choices he does and doesn't make that lead to his own destruction.

In his stunning young-adult debut, Charles Benoit mixes riveting tension with an insightful—and unsettling—portrait of an ordinary teen in a tale that is taut, powerful, and shattering.

My Take
 
This book pulled me in and held me there until the final words on the page.  I couldn't put it down and read it basically all in one sitting. 
 
Kyle is a likeable character.  I keep wanting more for him.  I want him to have Ashley as his girlfriend.  I want him to have good friends again.  I want his parents to see all the possibility in him and see that he needs help too.  Kyle is not really a bad kid...he's just a kid.  He's a teenager and that brings certain baggage with it.
 
I could feel Kyle's frustration too.  It's easy to see that if there's no possible way to pass, why bust your ass trying to catch up.  Not much point.  I so wanted someone to reach out to him. 
 
In the same respect, I try explaining to my son all the time how it's so easy to find yourself in a situation that can have far reaching consequences.  Consequences that suddenly, frightenly fall beyond your control.  It's too easy for people to point the finger at someone else and say, "I did that because I was compelled by this person or my situation or whatever.  It's a tougher thing to realize that we all make our own choices in life.  We are a product of the choices we've made over time.  We are where we are in life, due to our choices.  YOU is the story of Kyle Chase coming to realize that.  The writing is tight, intense and compelling.  I absolutely recommend that you read YOU. :)  Four big kisses!
 

7 comments:

  1. This one was so unique to me (probably only for the POV), but the story was interesting with its ideas about choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like an intense read. I love what you say about choice and how the book deals with it. I definitely want to read it. THanks for the reveiw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked YOU too! Very different way of approaching a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of this book - it really grabs me. Sounds like the writing will too. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading a lot about this book. I guess it's about time I picked it up! Thanks for a great review. I love reading yours.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent review! I'm going to have to read this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good one, Lisa. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are regarding my posts! ~Thanks

Currently Reading

Currently Reading

Just Finished

Just Finished