Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Balance, Timing and Other Elusive Things

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about life thus far, it’s that the majority of it comes down to timing. I’ve also found that balance is an important factor. Both of these pieces of information, I never would have paid attention to when I was younger. Similar to the adage that ‘time goes fast’. You never truly understand these things until you’ve journeyed a little farther down life’s path.

Of all things, I find balance to be the most precarious. How to give enough energy to those things that truly need it, and to throw a mental roadblock in front of those that can wait. I love writing and enjoy spending my time doing it. It is my thing that belongs to me, what I do for my “me” time. I would write everyday if I could squeeze in time to do so. However, like everyone else, I have other issues requiring my attention, and it’s not always realistic for me to write every day. I work full-time, single and only parent to an amazing teenager, I have family ties and the list sometimes never seems to end. I’ve learned to accept my timing and manage my own balancing act. I think I have it down pretty well at this point. Please ignore the laundry and the gargantuan dust bunnies.

I’ve learned that each of our journeys as writers, is drastically different from one another’s. If I don’t write every day, it doesn’t make me any less a writer or any better a parent. If I wrote every day for eight hours per day, I’m not sure it would make me a better writer; I think I would simply produce work at a faster pace. I believe whatever vehicle we use on our journey is fine, as long as we keep chugging along. Now if I could just work on my powers of persuasion.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...balance. I hear you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure if your 8hrs/day writing were directed, you'd become much better.
    I want to start dedicating more time to just plain writing, whatever comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are regarding my posts! ~Thanks

Currently Reading

Currently Reading

Just Finished

Just Finished