Monday, March 8, 2010

Incarceron Quite Enthralling


I recently read the YA novel, Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. It’s about a teen-aged boy named Finn who’s locked away in Incarceron, a prison so vast, worlds are contained within it. The prison is designed to be a self-sustaining, evolving world, and we come to learn it is alive.



No one enters or leaves Incarceron. There is only legend of one who ever escaped. Finn however, is sure he is not a “cell-born” but from the outside. He has flashes of memories from the past and is called a Starseer due to his visions of the stars.


Finn gets a crystal key that he is certain is the key to outside and his freedom. He and several others embark on a journey across Incarceron to find their way out. Through the key, he meets Claudia who is the warden’s daughter and lives on the outside and may hold answers to Finn’s past. Will they find their way out, will Claudia reach them, will the prison let them go?


I enjoyed this book. For me, at times it was a little challenging to follow since it was written in third person omniscient and frequently mind-hopped throughout. However, once I was immersed in it, I was hooked into an amazing story. There was also a bit overuse of the word "guttering" in the beginning, it died out after awhile.  There was tons of actions, great description and heaps of twists and turns. The main character slot is shared between Claudia and Finn, equally strong, consuming characters. It is an interesting, imaginative concept. Vivid imagery and a true page turner. A recommended read from me.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this novel before, but it sounds right up my Dear Daughter's eclectic literary taste alley! I'll have to show it to her when she gets home.

    Thanks for the review. I'm always in the mood for new books to read.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are regarding my posts! ~Thanks

Currently Reading

Currently Reading

Just Finished

Just Finished