Monday, August 16, 2010

Fire by Kristen Cashore

Here's a short bit about this from Ms. Cashore's blog: Fire, Graceling's stand-alone prequel-ish companion book, takes place across the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms, in a rocky, war-torn land called the Dells.


Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.
 
My take:
I grabbed this book assuming it was the follow-up to Graceling.  Once I adjusted to the fact that it was a pre-quel to Graceling, it sailed along.  Fire is an amazing, strong character.  She sounds lovely.  I wish I could have red, orange, and fuschia in my hair without looking like I've lost my mind.  Archer was a good guy, a bit impulsive, but a good guy nonetheless.  I don't want to give anything away for those that haven't read it.  I'll just say I like Archer. 
Brigan was amazing.  Don't we all long for a guy like Brigan?  It was long, but a great read.  I enjoyed it and didn't have too tough a time keeping all the characters straight.  The world building in this book was truly amazing.  Very detailed and very well done.  I would recommend and say 14 and up, maybe even a touch younger.  Four big kisses for this!
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds terrific - I haven't read either of these yet but they're on the wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are regarding my posts! ~Thanks

Currently Reading

Currently Reading

Just Finished

Just Finished